Monday, September 24, 2012

Gotta go right now!

So, what do you do when you are at the grocery store with your baby and a full cart... and have to go to the bathroom?

Sunday afternoon is our grocery day. Chris or I will take Claire to the store (it is a great place for building vocabulary!), and the other parent can stay home and get stuff done (or nap!). So, yesterday Claire and I made a run to HEB. I really just like to get in and get it done, so I had my game face on and was totally focused...

Well, focused to a point... About as focused as I can be as a mom. This time it was Claire's new trick that made the trip a little bit slow. She has learned to wave and say "Haaaaaaa!"and she was waving at EVERYTHING (stockers, customers, bakers, cans, raw meat, refrigerator door handles), so we got stopped in every isle by someone who wanted to wave back and tell me how cute she was. But I LOVE it--I can always break game face for that. She's just too dern cute not to!

Anyway, we got to the coffee isle, and I had to pee. Like major bad. Maybe a latte on the way to the store is a bad idea, especially since there is no such thing as short grocery trip. And since becoming a mom, I know that I can't just hold it forever like I used to. Heh heh. So not cool.

Into the bathroom Claire and I and my purse went. The ticking time bomb was on. I was doing the 'pee-pee' dance back and forth in the handicap stall while holding Claire as I tried to figure it all out. My only option was to hold her and one-handedly take care of the logistics.

Well, we made it out alive. That's always good. And we continued on...

Baby: (Waving to milk carton) Haaaaaaa!
Me: Are you saying 'Hi' to the milk carton?

Baby: (Waving to dog food) Haaaaaaa!
Me: Are you saying 'Hi' to the dog food?

Baby: (Waving to actual person this time)Haaaaaaa!
Me: Are you saying 'Hi' to the lady?
Lady: (Waving to Claire) Hi! (To me) Your baby is precious! Cherish these moments-they grow up to fast. Mine are teenagers...

I smile but I want to ask this lady if she has any advice on how to pee at the store with a baby, but I don't. That would be just weird. But all moms have been there... right?!?


No comments:

Post a Comment