Friday, February 10, 2012

Our Family of Three... The First Week

The first week of parenthood in a few words...


Nursing-it is incredible how exhausting both physically and mentally this is. NOTHING prepared me for it... it has been one of the hardest things I have ever done (of course behind labor and delivery)! And also one of the most rewarding when Claire gives me her little butterfly smiles. We started off rough, but I kept telling Claire that we would get it. And Chris helped out so much, too. Every bit of his help was needed. It really did start off as a two-person job! But, every day gets a little bit better...

Cuddling-I can't begin to express how good this feels. Skin-to-skin or wrapped in a blanket. Either way, Chris and I could spend forever cuddling with our little bundle of baby smelling goodness.

Cluster feedings- Cluster feedings are when a baby eats again and again and again... feeding after feeding. This means no rest for mom for hours. Boy, does this baby eat! She already surpassed her birth weight by day 4, when the average baby takes 10-14 days! Sometimes I wonder if she will just keep eating forever?

Diapers- It is as fun and exciting as it sounds... just not as smelly as we were lead to believe. We have had a few blow-outs that require a complete outfit change. I would post a picture, but I will save you the misery!

Maternity care- Not only am I caring for this sweet baby, but I am also caring for my healing body. Just a word of advice: Don't ever let soap get in your stitches. It will hurt for days!

Emotional moments- Sometimes I cry because Claire is so beautiful. Sometimes I cry because I love her so much. And sometimes I cry because I know that Chris will be going back to work soon and we won't be able to cuddle Claire together all day long. What happened to the Natalie who hardly ever cries?!?

Napping-It's a nice thought, but let's be honest, what new parent has time? Between visitors, feedings, burping, diaper changing, taking care of ourselves, insurance and disability paperwork, endless loads of laundry, taking pictures, and enjoying this time with Claire, it just doesn't happen.

Sleep deprivation-Brings out the crankiest in us. But the make-up hugs and kisses and moments in each other's arms remind Chris and I what this is all about...



2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you off to a great start. Parenting is the best job we will ever have. Advice that I'm sure you have heard or read...Claire naps, you nap. Even if it means you nap in the recliner while holding Sweet Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Shirley....this is the only time you will ever have that option...you nap when Claire naps...as soon as baby number 2 comes along, you do not have the amazing opportunity to nap with the newborn as you are taking care of the other child/children. The laundry and everything else can wait...you nap when Claire naps...repeat with me....I nap when Claire naps. :-)

    ReplyDelete