Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Attention everyone, Natalie is discreetly nursing in the back!

You know those moments in life you want to be invisible? Yes, I know those moments all too well. And, now that I am a mommy, it is a daily occurrence--no lie.

Last night, Julie (my friend who is also a new mommy) invited me to a MOPs (Mothers Of Preschoolers) meeting. Even though I was apprehensive about going (because I am the greenie of the group-first time new mom), I went because was due for some mommy fellowship.

Claire and I arrived at the community center a few minutes early to give us time to get situated... I hate walking into a room full of unfamiliar faces, especially with a stroller I am still learning to drive and get through doors. I found Julie and headed to her table. I caravan-ed myself, baby, and all of our stuff to the only open seat, bumping everything possible on the way. I sat down and tried to make conversation with the ladies at my table, but all I could think about was when Claire was going to start crying for dinner. As if on cue, she started crying when the announcements were being made. So, I looked to my friend Julie and mouthed "I've never nursed in PUBLIC!" Is there a word that means beyond uncomfortable and embarrassing? That would go here. But, better to bite the bullet and learn to nurse in a group of seasoned moms.

Well, the announcements concluded, and Claire was happily making her way through her first helping of dinner, hidden behind the 'hooter-hider' but making enough noise to be obvious to everyone around me. When is it developmentally appropriate to teach table manners?!?

"Now it is time to introduce our guests!" said the MOPs leader at the front. She asked me to introduce myself... and then realized I was nursing. Awesome. Why did the timing have to be so spot on?!? So I said "My name is Natalie, and I am nursing in public for the first time!" It felt like a confession. Like I was at my first AA meeting admitting I needed support to a group of people who have already been through this and ready to support me... Strange enough, this feeling of relief came over me. It felt good to have my secret out in the open. Done. Now I can say I have nursed in public and I have the confidence to do it again. So beware if you see me reach for my hooter-hider...

1 comment:

  1. I laughed out loud...literally....for a while. I can't relate but love reading the blog :)
    -Cook

    ReplyDelete