Friday, March 2, 2012

So I got a call...

I don't like the concerned tone, Mommy!
So I got a call on Wednesday afternoon from Claire's pediatrician. I immediately knew it was not a good call because of the concerned tone: "Mrs. Hubert, this is Dr. Atkuri. I am calling because Claire's blood work came back abnormal for the thyroid hormone. We would like to get her in first thing tomorrow." My heart sank. I wanted to cry, but I knew I just had to keep myself busy and try to not dwell on it. I did the dishes, folded clothes, and had Julie and her precious baby, Emma, over for a play date. But it was still all I could think about.

I called Chris at 5 because I just couldn't deal with it alone. I tried to keep calm, but the tears just had their way.

When I was feeding Claire that night, I prayed with her and sang our song as usual.

"Jesus loves Claire, this I know!
For the Bible tells us so.
Little ones to him belong
They are weak, but HE is strong!"

The simple truth of this song was so reassuring: Jesus is our strength when we are weak. Even the 'little ones'. And their Mommies.
Yes, I was an angel. But this is what I really thought...

We headed to the doctor's office early on Thursday. They did the blood work and Claire did not even cry. She is such an angel.

Dr. Atkuri was reassuring that Claire seemed to be healthy, and that the error could have been in the blood testing. She was sure she would have good news when she called later that afternoon, but that was no promise.

I told Claire that God is in charge, and promised my sweet girl that we would do whatever we needed to do to take care of her because she is God's precious gift to Chris and I.

So, I'm okay, Mommy?
I spent the next few hours at my Aunt Kathy's house visiting with her and Cousin Elizabeth. It was such a blessing to have this time with them, and it was a good reminder that God's goodness is ever present in the world.

Thursday afternoon, the doctor called-I could almost hear her smiling. The results were negative, and Claire is a healthy baby!!! In an instant, I was crying, smiling, kissing Claire and thanking God that she was healthy.

No matter what, and in all circumstances, I am so grateful that Jesus is our strength. Even when we are weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment