Friday, March 30, 2012

Sleep when your baby sleeps...

Recipe for sleep deprivation: Take a precious baby who sleeps in 3-6 hour stretches through the night. Add a parent who has trouble falling asleep and/or staying asleep. Observe for 7 weeks. Result: One sleepy momma!

I have struggled to sleep for the last several months. I'm not stressed or depressed... Actually, I am just in love with my baby and our new little family!!! All I can attribute the sleepless nights (literally whole nights with not a wink of sleep) to is hormones. YAY! The list of awesome things that have happened to my body since becoming, well, a 'woman' is so... lovely.

When people ask how I am doing, I like to be honest: "Pretty tired. Baby is sleeping, but I can't seem to get much sleep at all!" Most of the time, that response gets me advice such as "have you tried 'this' or 'that'"...  I have to refrain from saying "I have tried it all, people. Literally all of it!" I WISH some magic thing or pill would take away the tired. Did you know Benedryl makes some people really hyper? I am living proof. Well meaning people tell me to "Sleep when your baby sleeps". That would be AWESOME... if I could sleep!!!

I spent the waking hours of this morning (when I was not sleeping) Googling "Sleep Deprivation", and it was scary. I should not have done that. All new mommas don't get enough sleep, yet they are still alive to have more kids and raise them to become thriving adults. Why worry? But, isn't that what mommies are good at?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment